- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, hazelnuts, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest rack at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert the pan onto a wire rack; cool completely. Carefully run a knife around edges and center tube to loosen; remove cake.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in the baking cocoa, vanilla and enough coffee to achieve desired consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Hazelnut Chiffon Cake in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p261
Reviews for Hazelnut Chiffon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review