Hazelnut Bonbon Cookies Recipe
Take hazelnuts to a whole new level. Wrap them up in cookie dough, dip in chocolate and finish with sprinkles or colored sugar. —Nancy Mueller, Menomonee Falls, WI
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 42 whole hazelnuts
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate and gold jimmies
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in hot water; cool. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and espresso mixture. Gradually beat in flour.
- 2. Wrap 1 heaping teaspoon dough around each hazelnut to cover completely. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Whisk in confectioners' sugar until blended. Dip tops of cookies in glaze; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; sprinkle with jimmies and let stand until set.
Freeze option: Freeze unglazed cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Dip in glaze as directed. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC