- 1-1/2 cups unblanched almonds
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Confectioners' sugar
- Toast almonds and hazelnuts; cool completely. Place nuts in a food processor; cover and process until finely ground.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Combine the nut mixture, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; fold into egg whites. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Hazelnut-Almond Zimtsterne in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p62
Reviews for Hazelnut-Almond Zimtsterne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review