Hazelnut & Honey Roasted Squash Recipe
I enjoy both winter squash and nuts and combined them to make this tasty variation on baked acorn squash. I added apples to give it an extra level of flavor. It will go well with most hearty entrees.—Gloria Bradley, Naperville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place the hazelnuts, butter, honey and shallot in a food processor; cover and pulse until hazelnuts are finely chopped.
- 2. Place squash in a greased shallow roasting pan; sprinkle with salt. Spread 1/2 cup hazelnut mixture over squash. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the apple, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining hazelnut mixture. Spoon over squash; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until apples and squash are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 240 calories, 18 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC