Haystacks with Cheese Sauce Recipe
Here's a recipe from my daughter that has a lot going for it. It's simple to toss together with ingredients I usually have on hand...and it's fun at the table, too, because everyone gets to build their own "haystack"!—Dorothy Krauss, Halstead, Kansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Corn chips
- Cooked rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Picante sauce, optional
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef with onion until the beef is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomato soup, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper; simmer until heated through.
- 2. For cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour; cook and stir until a smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese soup. Add cheese; cook only until it melts.
- 3. To serve, prepare individual corn chip "nests"; layer each with meat mixture, rice and lettuce. Top with cheese sauce, and picante sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 366 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 1,281 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC