Haystacks with Cheese Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (11 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Corn chips
- Cooked rice
- Shredded lettuce
- Picante sauce, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef with onion until the beef is browned and the onion is tender; drain. Stir in tomato soup, chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper; simmer until heated through.
- For cheese sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add flour; cook and stir until a smooth paste forms. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in cheese soup. Add cheese; cook only until it melts.
- To serve, prepare individual corn chip "nests"; layer each with meat mixture, rice and lettuce. Top with cheese sauce, and picante sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Haystacks with Cheese Sauce in Country Ground Beef 1993, p80
Reviews for Haystacks with Cheese Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review