Haystack Supper Recipe
Served as the main dish at our family reunion buffet, this flavorful layered taco-style dish is a crowd-pleaser. Folks are pleasantly surprised to find a rice layer, and everyone enjoys the creamy cheese sauce.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1-3/4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (10 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- 1. Divide crackers between two ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top each with rice.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Reduce heat; stir in American cheese until melted. Pour over the tomatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and olives. Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC