- 1-3/4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (10 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- Divide crackers between two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top each with rice.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in Velveeta cheese until melted. Pour over the tomatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and olives. Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Haystack Supper
"This recipe sounds interesting in theory, but isn't there a mistake in the directions? Seems to me that the lettuce & tomato would get layered on top, then sprinkled with the shredded cheddar & olives. This is how it appears in the photo. The directions tell you to layer the rice, ground beef, then lettuce & tomato and then pour the hot velveeta sauce over the top of this!? The lettuce would drown & be completely soggy & gross. I'll try making this but will layer my lettuce & toms on top w/the shredded cheddar & olives. Sounds like it would make an good appetizer served with the tortilla chips!"
"This is a great way to serve Tex-Mex and the addition of rice makes it perfect!"
"this is great dish very easy to make.taste so good use the olives makes it so much the better"
"Excellent dish! I would use as an appetizer maybe. Delicious!"
"The guys in our family really, really love this!"
"This is a delicious addition to any meal and I'm very okay with it. My family loves it and we'll be keeping this recipe."