- 1-3/4 cups crushed saltines (about 40 crackers)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Seasoned salt, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (10 ounces) pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- Divide crackers between two ungreased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Top each with rice.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, water and seasonings; simmer for 15-20 minutes. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with lettuce and tomatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in Velveeta cheese until melted. Pour over the tomatoes. Top with cheddar cheese and olives. Serve with chips. Refrigerate any leftovers. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Haystack Supper
"Crackers, rice and Velveeta combined with the other ingredients, just doesn't sound very appetizing or flavorful."
"This recipe sounds interesting in theory, but isn't there a mistake in the directions? Seems to me that the lettuce & tomato would get layered on top, then sprinkled with the shredded cheddar & olives. This is how it appears in the photo. The directions tell you to layer the rice, ground beef, then lettuce & tomato and then pour the hot velveeta sauce over the top of this!? The lettuce would drown & be completely soggy & gross. I'll try making this but will layer my lettuce & toms on top w/the shredded cheddar & olives. Sounds like it would make an good appetizer served with the tortilla chips!"
"This is a great way to serve Tex-Mex and the addition of rice makes it perfect!"
"this is great dish very easy to make.taste so good use the olives makes it so much the better"
"Excellent dish! I would use as an appetizer maybe. Delicious!"
"The guys in our family really, really love this!"
"This is a delicious addition to any meal and I'm very okay with it. My family loves it and we'll be keeping this recipe."