Haystack Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (9 ounces) tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese; cook and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
- 3. On eight plates, layer the rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, beans, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Top with meat mixture, sour cream and cheese sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 855 calories, 46 g fat (24 g saturated fat), 142 mg cholesterol, 1,385 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.