- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta)
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (9 ounces) tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add spaghetti sauce and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour, garlic powder and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese; cook and stir until melted. Remove from the heat.
- On eight plates, layer the rice, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, beans, cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Top with meat mixture, sour cream and cheese sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Haystack Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p47
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Haystack Salad(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2010
Different! I used it as a dip! My family raved about it!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Salad Recipes >
- Green Salad Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Main Dish Salad Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Salad Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >