Hawaiian Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced pineapple
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 4 sesame hamburger buns
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use); set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onions, red pepper, soy sauce, salt and reserved pineapple juice. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- 2. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with teriyaki sauce. Grill 4-6 minutes longer on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- 3. Grill pineapple slices for 2 minutes on each side, basting occasionally with teriyaki sauce. Warm buns on grill; top each with a burger and pineapple slice. Yield: 4 servings.
One burger equals 391 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 1,041 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fruit.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.