Hawaiian Sweet Rolls Recipe
These sweet rolls are very similar to the kind found in bakeries...only better! Pineapple adds just the right amount of sweetness. My husband can't eat just one.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, salt, remaining sugar and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with some of the remaining butter. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Cut each into 12 slices. Place, cut side down, 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 6. Place a teaspoonful of filling in the center of each roll. Bake at 425° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- 7. For glaze, combine sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 188 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 148 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC