Hawaiian Sweet Bread Recipe
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, potato flakes, sugar, yeast, salt and ginger. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water,
- 2. butter and pineapple juice to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a ball. Place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (12 wedges each).
1 wedge equals 146 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Hawaiian Sweet Bread
"This is very easy and it turned out wonderful! Better than the store bought. Even made cinnamon tolls which were pure heaven"
"@Anonymousforever, this recipe is not misleading, perhaps you missed a step- the recipe clearly states, "add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough"So, in the beginning you will use 3 c flour, then you will add more to achieve desired consistency. (it will vary depending on your flour type, water type, etc.)I do hope you try this recipe & review the wonderful outcome! :)"
"This recipe is misleading! In the ingredients it states, "7 to 7 1/2 cup of flour;" yet in the directions it states, "combine 3 cups flour." So, which is it?"
"Wonderful! I wondered about the potato flakes but fantastic!!"
"There are no words to describe how fantastic this recipe is. I love making breads of all kinds and this one is unbelievabley good."
"Incredibly delicious! We love this recipe; you should try it. Tastes like the Hawaiian bread you buy at the grocery store."
"This is delicious. It tastes just like store bought Hawaiian sweet bread. So easy even my daughters can make it. Wonderful."