- 1 package white or orange cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package (3 ounces) orange gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 package (10 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Toasted coconut, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, coconut and sour cream. Set aside 1 cup for frosting. Place one cake on a serving plate; top with a third of the remaining pineapple mixture. Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture. Spread over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Hawaiian Sunset Cake
"I make this cake all of the time , it is wonderful but I add cream cheese to the pineapple mixture."
"I baked this for a family dinner. There were just 5 of us so I had a lot left over, but I like it so much I had a piece for every meal till it was gone. Family like it to. I like the coconut and fruit filling. It really makes the cake taste like hawaiian sunset."
"This is a very delicious cake and really simple to make. Taste all home made, no one will ever know unless you tell."
"I took this cake to a family gathering, and it was a hit. I had someone ask me for the receipe so they could make it for their son's wedding reception..."
"Loved this recipe! So moist. Of course mine didn't look at pretty as the one in the picture lol...I to didn't let the pineapple drain enough...but I think that it let the juice get down into the cake and make it even more moist.... anywho...it was YUMMY!!!"