Hawaiian Pizza Pasta Recipe
I've been making this recipe since I discovered it and tweaked it to our family's liking more than 15 years. You can substitute chopped salami, pepperoni or cooked ground beef for the ham. Or add olives and red peppers—whatever you like on a pizza. —Rose Enns, Abbotsford, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, oregano, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaves from sauce. Stir in the pasta, 5 cups of mozzarella cheese, pineapple and ham.
- 3. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC