- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 6 cups (24 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, onion and pepper in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, oregano, basil and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaves from sauce. Stir in the pasta, 5 cups of mozzarella cheese, pineapple and ham.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Hawaiian Pizza Pasta
"This recipe is delicious; I will definitely make it again! I substituted my home canned pizza sauce and added black olives...yum!"
"Made this last night. It turned out great. My husband even took some to work for lunch today. I will make this again."
"Cant wait to try this one !"
"We were craving pizza, but due to time constraints, couldn't today. This was perfect...all the kids (and I) loved it. Used GF pasta and added pepperoni slices and olives. Next time, I'll do it without stirring the cheese in with the rest. Put half the casserole in the pan, sprinkle with the cheese, then the other half, and then the cheese for topping. Think it will make it look more appetizing. Great quick, yummy, recipe!"
"I halved this recipe except the sauce and everyone in the family thought it needed more sauce. Like another reviewer I will use a good premade pasta sauce next time.I will also add more garlic and add about 2t of sugar. We would prefer to cut the chunk pineapple in half, and the mushrooms don't really need to be there. This is a recipe you can tweek to your own tastes."