My mother-in-law gave me a similar version of this recipe, which is one of my husband's favorites. My oldest daughter requested this dish for her graduation party. One of her teachers could not stop raving about it (or eating it, for that matter)!Julie Schiefer, Nappanee, Indiana
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough
- water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar,
- cornstarch, vinegar and juice mixture until blended. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, peppers, drained pineapple
- and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meatballs are
- heated through and peppers are tender.
- Stir in cherries; cook, covered, on low 15-30 minutes longer or until
- heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired,
- serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 520 calories, 30 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 837 mg sodium,