Hawaiian Meatballs Recipe
Talk about one easy dish that creates an amazing sweet and sour sauce! You can serve over rice for more of a dinner-like option, but I also like to offer them as an appetizer simply served with toothpicks. —Julie Schiefer, Nappanee, Indiana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and juice mixture until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- 2. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, peppers, drained pineapple and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meatballs are heated through and peppers are tender.
- 3. Stir in cherries; cook, covered, on low 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 520 calories, 30 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 837 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC