Talk about one easy dish that creates an amazing sweet and sour sauce! You can serve over rice for more of a dinner-like option, but I also like to offer them as an appetizer simply served with toothpicks. —Julie Schiefer, Nappanee, Indiana
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and juice mixture until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, peppers, drained pineapple and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meatballs are heated through and peppers are tender.
- Stir in cherries; cook, covered, on low 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Hawaiian Meatballs in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2010, p38
Reviews for Hawaiian Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review