Hawaiian Joy Bars Recipe
This is like a trip to the islands with the hint of rum and the nuts and coconut. I served them to my family and at my work and church, and I always hear murmurs of appreciation.—Jennifer Neckermann, Wentzville, Missouri
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup rum
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 ounce white candy coating, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, eggs, rum and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in 2 cups chocolate chips, white chips, coconut and nuts.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a microwave, melt shortening with remaining chocolate chips; drizzle over bars. Melt white candy coating; drizzle over bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 bar equals 429 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC