This is like a trip to the islands with the hint of rum and the nuts and coconut. I served them to my family and at my work and church, and I always hear murmurs of appreciation.—Jennifer Neckermann, Wentzville, Missouri
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup rum
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) white baking chips
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1-1/2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 ounce white candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, eggs, rum and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in 2 cups chocolate chips, white chips, coconut and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt shortening with remaining chocolate chips; drizzle over bars. Drizzle candy coating over bars. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Hawaiian Joy Bars in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p92
Reviews for Hawaiian Joy Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review