Hawaiian Ham Sandwiches Recipe
I've made these sandwiches many times for family and friends, and they've always been a hit. I often get asked for the recipe. The pineapple is what gives them a Hawaiian flair - we think they're a real treat. I have three grown children and enjoy cooking for them and the grandchildren when they come to visit.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 8 submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 6 to 8 green onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound sliced fully cooked ham, julienned
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Cut thin slices off tops of rolls. Hollow out bread in the center, leaving 1/4-in. shells; set aside tops and discard hollowed-out bread (or save for another use). Place rolls on a baking sheet; line the inside of each with Swiss cheese.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute peppers and onions in oil for 3 minutes. Add ham; cook for 3 minutes. Add pineapple. Remove from the heat; drain.
- 3. Spoon into rolls. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Replace roll tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 559 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 897 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC