Hawaiian Ham Salad
There’s plenty of flavor and crunch in this refreshing salad. I like to use both red and green apples, and sometimes I substitute celery for the water chestnuts. —Vickie Lowrey, Fallon, Nevada
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained and halved
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- Lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. In a large bowl,
- combine the pineapple, rice, ham, water chestnuts and onion. Cover
- and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, salt and reserved pineapple
- juice. Pour over ham mixture and toss to coat. Stir in apple.
- Serve on lettuce-lined plates; sprinkle with macadamia nuts and
- coconut. Yield: 4 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.