Hawaiian Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1 whole fresh pineapple
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups green grapes, halved
- 1-1/4 cups pina colada-flavored or vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
- 1. Stand the pineapple upright and vertically cut a third from one side, leaving the leaves attached. Set cut piece aside. Using a paring or grapefruit knife, remove strips of pineapple from large section, leaving a 1/2-in. shell; discard core. Cut strips into bite-size chunks. Invert shell onto paper towels to drain.
- 2. Remove fruit from the small pineapple piece and cut into chunks; discard peel. Place shell in a serving basket or bowl.
- 3. In another bowl, combine the pineapple chunks, oranges, strawberries and grapes. Combine the yogurt, 1/4 cup coconut and extract; spoon over fruit and stir gently. Spoon into pineapple shell. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 203 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Hawaiian Fruit Salad
"Delicious! Beautiful presentation using the pineapple shell as a serving bowl. Will definitely add this to my rotation of fruit salad recipes!"
"I wanted a fruit salad for Easter and this one had excellent reviews plus looked so beauriful in the pineapple.....I decided it was The One! Personally, I thought it was AWFUL. Fruit is not inexpensive and I ended up throwing almost the entire thing in the garbage! SO DISAPPOINTED! (I made the salad exactly as given, using the pina colada yogurt. Only thing I did different was omit the coconut)"
"One of my favorites, perfect combination of flavors!"
"Very very yummy and looks so pretty in the pineapple, Hard for me to find pina colada flavored yogurt so just used french vanilla and it was still delicious! Does not take very much time at all to carve the pineapple and put it together. I cant wait to make it again."
"my son & daughter-in-law made this for meon Mother's Day.it is so good ,I asked himto make it again & again, & again !"
"This was delicious and beautiful to look at too! Will definitely make this again!"
"I made this beautiful fruit salad two different ways for a tropical theme party. In one I used vanilla yogurt and omitted the coconut. The other one I made according to the recipe. I got raves on both of them. It took me longer than the 30 minutes the recipe claims to cut up all that fruit and assemble it. This dish really was unusual served in the pineapple, and complemented the tropical theme."
"My husbands company picnic was Hawaiian themed, so I made this recipe and won the salad contest and we won a gift certificate to Ruby Tuesdays for 2. This recipe is very yummy."