- 1 loaf (1 pound) Hawaiian sweet bread
- 1 block (8 ounces) Swiss cheese
- 3 slices red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cut bread diagonally into 1-in. slices to within 1 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction. Cut Swiss cheese into 1/4-in. slices; cut slices into small pieces. Insert into bread. Combine the onion, butter, garlic and salt; spoon over bread.
- Wrap loaf in foil. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve warm. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Hawaiian Cheese Bread
"A big hit! We also make the savory party bread found on this site. This will be a nice addition to change it up."
"There's not a crumb left when I serve this bread. It's a great party food or accompaniment to soups and salads."
"This was great, but I used green onions in place of red, & a dash of garlic salt in place of the minced garlic & salt."
"Made this last night for the Super Bowl. It was pretty good. If I made it again, I would puree the onions, or mince them. I didn't care for the diced pieces of onion on it."
"Everyone loved this at my party! It went fast and is fun to look at."