Hawaiian Beef Sliders Recipe
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 18 miniature whole wheat buns
- Baby spinach leaves
- 3 center-cut bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1-1/2 cups pineapple (save remaining pineapple for another use). In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup reserved crushed pineapple, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties; place in two 11x7-in. dishes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice. Pour half of marinade into each dish; cover and refrigerate 1 hour, turning once.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, coat grill rack lightly.
- 4. Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- 5. Grill buns, uncovered, 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on buns with spinach, remaining pineapple, bacon and jalapeno peppers if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3 sliders (calculated without peppers) equals 350 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 444 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Hawaiian Beef Sliders
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.