Haunted House Cake Recipe
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 Nutter Butter cookies
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (1.55 ounces)
- 1 orange M&M miniature baking bit
- Orange liquid or paste food coloring
- 1 Cup Golden Grahams cereal
- Stick of Orange-striped fruit gum
- Chocolate sprinkles
- 1/4 cup gold rock candy
- 14- x 10-inch serving board or platter
- Purple gift wrap
- Clear cellophane
- 1. Prepare chocolate cake batter according to package directions. Spoon 3 cups into a greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Set remaining batter aside.
- 2. Bake loaf cake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Prepare white cake batter and pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Drop reserved chocolate batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto white batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 4. To assemble, place the marbled cake on a large platter or covered board (about 14 in. x 10 in.). Level top of chocolate cake. Cut chocolate cake in half widthwise. Referring to photo above for position, place one half on the corner of the marbled cake for the house.
- 5. For the roof, cut remaining half of chocolate cake in half diagonally. Position the two halves together so they form a triangular shape on top of house. Cut each cookie in half widthwise and set aside.
- 6. In a bowl, cream shortening and butter. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Frost house, roof, sides of marble cake and cookie halves.
- 7. Break candy bar into rectangles. Place one on front of house for door (save remaining pieces for another use). Place a small dot of frosting on left side of door and attach M&M baking bits for doorknob. Tint remaining frosting orange; frost top of marble cake.
- 8. Place cereal on roof of house for shingles. Cut gum in half widthwise and then lengthwise. Place two pieces above the door for shutters. Use sprinkles to outline the window.
- 9. For tombstones, attach sprinkles to the cookies to read "RIP" and "BOO". Place cookies on the cake, lightly pushing them into frosting.
- 10. Place rock candy in front of door for a walkway. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Crafter thought: Don't have the same decorations our cooks used? Try any goodies you have in the cupboard, such as candy corns for the roof shingles, M&M's for the stone walkway and candy pumpkins for a patch. Finished size: Cake measures about 13 inches long x 9 inches wide x 7 inches high.