Hash Brown Supreme Recipe
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion, mushrooms and pepper in oil until tender. Add hash browns; cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are browned, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in the tomato, cheese, olives, jalapeno, seasoned salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chives; cut into wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
1 wedge equals 142 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 233 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.