Hash Brown Potatoes Recipe
"My mother-in-law served these buttery potatoes at brunch a while ago, and I wouldn't leave until I had the recipe," notes Holly VeDepo of West Liberty, Iowa. Chopped red pepper provides this stovetop side dish with a bit of color.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1. Pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 9-11 minutes or until tender, turning once. Cool slightly; peel and cube.
- 2. Place potatoes in a bowl; add onion and red pepper if desired. In another bowl, combine the flour, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over potato mixture and toss.
- 3. In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potato mixture. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC