Hash Brown Potatoes
"My mother-in-law served these buttery potatoes at brunch a while ago, and I wouldn't leave until I had the recipe," notes Holly VeDepo of West Liberty, Iowa. Chopped red pepper provides this stovetop side dish with a bit of color.
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips, optional
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave,
- uncovered, on high for 9-11 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Cool slightly; peel and cube.
- Place potatoes in a bowl; add onion and red pepper if desired. In
- another bowl, combine the flour, milk, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Pour over potato mixture and toss.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potato mixture. Cook over medium
- heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring
- occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.