Hash Brown Potatoes Recipe
"My mother-in-law served these buttery potatoes at brunch a while ago, and I wouldn't leave until I had the recipe," notes Holly VeDepo of West Liberty, Iowa. Chopped red pepper provides this stovetop side dish with a bit of color.
- 4 medium baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips, optional
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pierce the potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 9-11 minutes or until tender, turning once. Cool slightly; peel and cube.
- Place potatoes in a bowl; add onion and red pepper if desired. In another bowl, combine the flour, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over potato mixture and toss.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potato mixture. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Hash Brown Potatoes in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p16
Reviews for Hash Brown Potatoes(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2009
This is very good. Kind of had my doubts with the milk and flour.Very nummy! Thanks for sharing Holly.