- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces sliced pancetta or Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon, finely chopped
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper and additional fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In another skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer the hash browns, spinach mixture and pancetta. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, 1/2 cup fontina cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and nutmeg; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and garnish with additional parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hash Brown Pancetta Casserole
"Just made this casserole for a brunch...my husband loved the fluffy light texture and the delicious combination of flavors!"
"I agree, I figured with Weight Watchers it equals to 8 points per serving... which is typical for a casserrole serving."
"Thought I would try something different, I am glad I did!"
"Looks delicious. Will be trying this for our Easter brunch."
"I ran the recipe thru a recipe calculator found at: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=22and this is what I came up with for stats: calorie=281 fat=19.7g carbs=7.7g fiber=1.3 protein= 18.8g"
"Tasty recipe to make. I used bacon. I'm not sure if the calorie count could be correct with the specific ingredients but the dish received thumbs up around my table!"
"TOH: Are you sure about the calorie count on this? 291 calories for each of 8 servings sounds low for these ingredients."
"I made this for Bunco night and the ladies LOVED it. I used bacon."