- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces sliced pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper and additional fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- In another skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the hash browns, spinach mixture and pancetta. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, 1/2 cup fontina cheese, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and nutmeg; pour over casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and garnish with additional parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Hash Brown Pancetta Casserole
Sort By :
Just made this casserole for a brunch...my husband loved the fluffy light texture and the delicious combination of flavors!
Haven't tried this yet, but will the next time I have a bunch of eggs to use up quickly. Although technically a breakfast/brunch dish, I think this would make a great hearty supper, too, maybe with a green salad alongside. I will be using lower-fat cheeses where I can, too.
I agree, I figured with Weight Watchers it equals to 8 points per serving... which is typical for a casserrole serving.
Thought I would try something different, I am glad I did!