Hash Brown Nests with Portobellos and Eggs Recipe
Hash browns make a fabulous crust for these individual egg quiches. They look like you fussed, but are actually easy to make. They've been a hit at holiday brunches and other special occasions.—Kate Meyer, Brentwood, Tennessee
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 3 cups chopped fresh portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 7 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Additional minced fresh basil, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Press 1/4 cup hash browns onto the bottom and up the sides of each of 12 greased muffin cups; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in butter until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, basil and cayenne.
- 3. Divide eggs among potato-lined muffin cups. Top with mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
- 4. Bake 15-18 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Garnish with additional basil if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 nest equals 101 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Hash Brown Nests with Portobellos and Eggs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC