- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, bacon, 1/2 cup cheese and salt. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In another large bowl, beat eggs and milk until blended; pour over hash brown mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Hash Brown Egg Bake
"I found that this recipe lacked flavor. Based on other reviews, I used o'brien potatoes and added salt and pepper to the eggs thinking that would help but it didn't really seem to make a difference. I also added an extra egg, a little extra milk and double the amount of cheese but the potatoes seemed to overpower the dish to the point that I barely tasted the bacon or the cheese. I really wanted to like this dish since it's easy to put together and makes a lot but I doubt that I will try it again."
"Great basic recipe but improved with the addition of more eggs, cheese and cream."
"Made a couple of alterations but turned out great full of flavour. I use 20 oz of Potatos o'brian vs. hash browns and added some chives, garlic, and onion powder."
"very blah, even with hash browns with onions and green peppers and added spice didn't help. quick and easy. wont make again"
"After making it one time,I added an extra egg and a can of diced green chilis and and extra 1/2 cup of cheese to the mixture. It was yummy and my husband and I like it alot"
"I can't understand the 4 & 5 stars for this recipe. Unless the recipe is altered as suggested by numerous reviews, the casserole is very dry and tastes only of hashbrowns not eggs. I made this casserole for New Years Day brunch and was embarassed to serve this dry, tasteless dish.I gave the dish 2 stars because It was edible and the ingredients together could be good, but the recipe, as is, is not good.Disappointed."
"Very quick and easy. Will definitely use this recipe as a go-to for a quick, filling meal. Family loved it!"
"Kind of bland for us, but a great starting point for the basics."
"I just made this for the first time. LOVE it. Will definitely make it again. I didn't alter the ingredients at all even though I wondered about putting dill seed in it. Love the onion/green pepper taste and the texture of it with the hash browns."
"I made this for dinner tonight, OH MY GOSH, it was so delicious. My family just gobbled it up. Next time I have to double the recipe! ! No leftovers."