- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. pie plate. Combine topping ingredients; spoon evenly over the meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Hash Brown Beef Pie
"My husband and grown daughter approved and said they would like to have it again. It was very easy to make. For the frozen mixed vegetables I used equal amounts of frozen string beans and corn. Also, I think there is a mistake in the recipe. 1 cup of shredded cheese is 4 ounces, not 8 ounces as stated. I used 1 cup (4 ounces) and it came out great."
"Quite tasty and easy to make. The only change I made was to sprinkle top with paprika before baking."
"My family loved it."
"My husband and I took one bite and both agreed it was excellent!"
"Pretty good, however, it could use a little of something else....what? I don't know for sure."