Emperor Nero thought leeks would improve his singing voice. At our house, we believe they add fresh flavor to this easy hash brown bake with prosciutto.—Gilda Lester, Millsboro, DE
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 thin slices prosciutto or thinly sliced deli ham
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) spreadable garlic and herb cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, cook proscuitto over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer hash browns, leeks and proscuitto. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cheese, basil and mustard; pour over top. Drop cream cheese by tablespoonfuls over egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Make-Ahead: Refrigerate unbaked casserole, covered, several hours or overnight. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, as directed, increasing time as necessary until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Leek & Prosciutto Hash Brown Bake in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p16
Reviews for Hash Brown Bake with Proscuitto & Leeks
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review