Hash Brown & Apple Pancake Recipe
Wedges of crispy Hash Brown Apple Pancake make a fast and fabulous side dish the whole family will savor. Laced with onions, chives and Swiss cheese, they take only minutes and would go well with all kinds of entrees.—Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- 2. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly in pan; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining potato mixture, pressing gently into skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until bottom is browned.
- 3. Carefully invert pancake onto a plate. Heat remaining butter and oil in same pan. Slide pancake into skillet, browned side up. Cook 5 minutes longer or until bottom is browned and cheese is melted. Slide pancake onto a plate; cut into four wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
1 wedge equals 199 calories, 16 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC