Wedges of crispy Hash Brown Apple Pancake make a fast and fabulous side dish the whole family will savor. Laced with onions, chives and Swiss cheese, they take only minutes and would go well with all kinds of entrees.—Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
- 1-1/4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped apple
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- Spread half of the potato mixture evenly in pan; sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining potato mixture, pressing gently into skillet. Cook 5 minutes or until bottom is browned.
- Carefully invert pancake onto a plate. Heat remaining butter and oil in same pan. Slide pancake into skillet, browned side up. Cook 5 minutes longer or until bottom is browned and cheese is melted. Slide pancake onto a plate; cut into four wedges. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Hash Brown Apple Pancake in Quick Cooking January/February 2006, p21
Reviews for Hash Brown & Apple Pancake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2011
"This was ok but not great. The onion didn't really cook and the apple tasted odd. Not my favorite."