- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 rabbit (2-1/2 pound), skinned, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) sour cream
- 1. In a large nonmetallic bowl, combine onion, vinegar, water and seasonings. Add rabbit pieces; cover and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Remove meat; strain and reserve marinade. Dry meat well; coat lightly with flour. In a large skillet, melt butter; brown meat well. Gradually add 2 to 2-1/2 cups reserved marinade. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Remove meat to a warm platter. Add sour cream to pan juices; stir just until heated through. Spoon over rabbit. Yield: 6 servings.
6 ounce-weight: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Hasenpfeffer
"loved this recipe. meat had great flavor and i loved the sauce. i made rice to serve with this and we put the sauce all over the rice. should have probably made potatoes to keep it more german style, but it is fantastic no matter what side you choose. will definitely make again, but probably with chicken or turkey next time."