Harveys Coconut Macaroons
This recipe originated nearly 100 years ago at Gerstner & Koeble Konditory, a pastry shop in Vienna, Austria, which has delivered cakes, pastries and cookies to the Vienna Opera House since 1945.Norbert Koblitz, Harveys, Lake Tahoe, Nevada
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3-1/2 cups almond paste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Red candied cherries, halved
- In a food processor or blender, process coconut until finely chopped;
- set aside. In a bowl, beat almond paste until crumbled. Gradually
- add flour, sugar and coconut; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time;
- beat until smooth. Stir in nuts. Place dough in a pastry bag with a
- large star tip; pipe onto baking sheets covered with parchment paper
- or foil. Top with cherries. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or
- until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 243 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 26 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.