When diners lay eyes on Ruth Lee's lightened-up veggie tart, oohs of approval start circling her table in Troy, Ontario. “I've been serving it for 30 years, and its robust taste and aroma always get a warm reception.”
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 slices peeled eggplant (3-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 small tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 green pepper rings
- 3 sweet red pepper rings
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to pan; trim even with edge of pan. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onions and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add eggplant; cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Cool for 5 minutes. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Top with tomato slices and pepper rings. Sprinkle with corn.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Vegetable Tart in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p52
Reviews for Harvest Vegetable Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review