This is a great way to use fresh garden vegetable on a large scale with only minimal preparation. It's colorful, flavorful and good for you.—JoLynn Hill, Roosevelt, Utah
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large green peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Minced fresh parsley
- In several large skillets, saute onions in oil until tender. Add peppers; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, beans, cauliflower, peas and salt.
- In a large bowl, dissolve bullion in water; stir in the barley and garlic. Transfer to three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Top with vegetable mixture. Drizzle with lemon juice; sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until barley and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: about 28 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Vegetable Casserole in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p54
Reviews for Harvest Vegetable Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review