Harvest Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- In a small bowl, soak raisins in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, cream the shortening and brown sugar. Add egg, milk, molasses and vanilla; beat on high for 1 minute. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until smooth. Pour butter into a greased 8-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Drizzle with corn syrup; sprinkle with the walnuts, raisins and cherries. Arrange apples on top, overlapping slices. Spoon batter over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender or a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Run a knife around the edges of cake; immediately invert onto a serving plate. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Upside-Down Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p47
Reviews for Harvest Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review