Harvest Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12-pound turkey)
- 5 quarts water
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place the turkey carcass and water in a Dutch oven or large soup kettle; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; allow to cool. Remove turkey from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Strain broth. Add carrots, celery, onion and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes, peas, rice, spinach, salt if desired, pepper, marjoram, thyme and reserved turkey. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Yield: 22 servings (5-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Harvest Turkey Soup
Sort By :
"This soup was excellent! I made it with leftover turkey and commercial turkey broth. Everyone loved it."
"I have NEVER made a turkey soup that even the dog would eat! They wound up in the trash, sadly. This recipe is FANTASTIC!Just made it and am jogging to make room for seconds! Thanks Linda!! A winner for sure. Only change I made was Bell's Poultry Seasoning instead of listed seasonings-a family favorite.Yumm!"
"I make this every year after Thanksgiving. The soup turns out delish every time. Great recipe, thanks for sharing this one!"
"Since the first time this recipe was published, it's been my "go to" recipe for turkey soup. My husband and family LOVE it! Thanks for sharing such a keeper recipe."
"Delicious! My first time making a broth soup from scratch and I impressed myself. Everyone loved it."