Harvest Sweet Potato Soup
I always double this recipe whenever I prepare it, since we love leftovers. This is the easiest soup I've ever made. Our 10-month-old daughter can really dig in, since this thick nutritious mixture clings to her spoon. We prefer it warm, but it can also be served chilled.
-Gayle Becker, Mt. Clemens, Michigan
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Add
- remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce
- heat; simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in
- batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and without salt) equals 133 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.