- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Harvest Sweet Potato Soup
Sort By :
"It was just OK. I won't make again."
"Great autumn soup! Used fresh basil and 5 cups of vegetable broth. Can't wait to share it with my neighbor, a great food critic. Its a wonderful lunch or the fantastic beginnings of a special meal for company."
"We really enjoyed this soup. I made a few changes. I used olive oil, doubled the recipe, added collards to the soup and used leeks instead of onions. The flavor was WONDERFUL, rich and delicious. I destemed the collards and pulled out the strings from the leaf veins as I could. I would recommend cutting the leaf veins out as far up the leaves as you can. Pureeing the collards into the soup definitely changed the color but not too ugly, I kept the ration of collards to sweet potato down to minimize the GREENESS. :) We could not taste the collards at all and I added some yummy greens to our diet in a way that did not gross out the kids. It is kid friendly without chunks in it and is yummy as a vegan meal or as a side dish with beef or chicken dishes. Enjoy!"
"This had a great flavor. The potatoes I had seemed smaller than medium-sized, so I used more of them. The soup turned out too thick, but perhaps I used too many potatoes. Next time I will either use fewer potatoes or more broth, but either way, I will definitely be making this again."
"I was looking for something different in a soup and I had a ton of yams that I didn't want to go bad. I tried this recipe and it is absolutely fantastic. My kids LOVE it and so do I!"