Harvest Sugar Cookies Recipe
Rich buttery cookies like these never last long at a party or potluck. I got this recipe from a friend in Texas years ago and have used it many times since. I use pumpkin- and leaf-shaped cookie cutters to celebrate the season "tastefully." -Lynn Burgess, Rolla, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling YIELD:36 servings
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Frosting of your choice or additional sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured pumpkin or leaf cookie cutter or others of your choice. Using a floured spatula, place cookies on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired (or frost baked cookies after they have cooled).
- 3. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 6-7 dozen (2-1/2-inch cookies).
1 serving (2 each) equals 94 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC