- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Frosting of your choice or additional sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured pumpkin or leaf cookie cutter or others of your choice. Using a floured spatula, place cookies on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar if desired (or frost baked cookies after they have cooled).
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 6-7 dozen (2-1/2-inch cookies).
Reviews for Harvest Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
"I made these for our church's recent "cookie walk" fundraiser. Most sugar cookies are just a holder for the rich frosting, but this cookie's flavor was just as good as the frosting. They weren't too buttery, and had the right amount of sweetness. I used an ice cream cone and lollipop cookie cutter for a summery theme."
"I just made 4 batches of these DELICIOUS quick cookies for a fundraiser for Relay for Life. I had some leftover frosting, and they are so easy to make, I'm going to whip up 2 more batches to make for fun!"
"I've been using this recipe for years and wouldn't think of using another for cut-out cookies! It is wonderful and have passed the recipe on to others to enjoy as well. Thanks for sharing!"
"I tried this recipe years ago, when I first started subscribing to TOH. My family agreed that this recipe alone, easily made up for the cost of my subscription. It is the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever tried. These cookies get raves anytime that I make them. They have become one of my signature dishes that I make at holiday time, for potlucks, etc., and it is now expected and anticipated that I bring them!"
"I've made these so many times for every holiday. It's a perfect recipe for cut out cookies! Thanks!"