Harvest Stuffed Chicken Recipe
This roasted chicken is easy enough to prepare every day, yet special enough for company. The corn bread and savory enhance the flavor of the homemade stuffing.
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix, prepared as directed and crumbled or 3 cups crushed corn bread stuffing
- 3 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh savory or 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine corn bread crumbs and croutons. In a large skillet, saute the celery, mushrooms, red pepper, ham, onions, savory, salt and pepper in oil until vegetables are tender. Add to crumb mixture. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
- Stuff chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2-1/4 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Harvest Stuffed Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p67
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Harvest Stuffed Chicken(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Ham >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >