This warming stew features tasty golden squash, moist tender pork and sweet apples for an interesting change of pace from traditional beef stew.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (3 cups)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook the pork, onion and garlic in butter until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, salt, rosemary, sage
- and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add squash and apples; simmer,
- uncovered, for 20 minutes or until squash and apples are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 289 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 853 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 26 g protein.