- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (3 cups)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
- In a large saucepan, cook the pork, onion and garlic in butter until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the broth, salt, rosemary, sage and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add squash and apples; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until squash and apples are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Harvest Stew(3)
Sort By :
This is a family favorite, especially with our boys. Even as teenagers, they would ask me to make this and now our daughter-in-law makes it for her family. The combination of pork, squash and apples is wonderful!
I found apple to be a strange thing to put in a stew, but since we have a ton of apples from our apple tree I thought I would try it. The broth tasted good, but the apple just seemed out of place.
I have to admit I was sceptical about this recipe. But I had some pork that I needed to use, so I took the gamble. I knew it was a winner when I served it to my DH's football-watching buddies and they finished off the the whole pan. I should have doubled the recipe!